Last summer, attempting Zumba classes, I got a stress fracture in my foot- followed by numerous more stress fractures. Needless to say I do not do Zumba anymore, although I really liked it! Because of my feet hurting all the time and "trying" to stay off of them (impossible with little first graders!) I gave a lot more responsibility to the students. I always knew they were eager to do anything you asked them to do. You can make any boring mundane job sound like it is the ultimate job to have!! (I actually had kids beg me to clean the toilet in our classroom!- Of course I did not let them- gross!) Even though I knew this about kids, I was still in shock at how much they could take on when I couldn't. It was eye opening and I plan to continue to let them help me more- and some of these jobs I see on this linky party, I just might add to my job list! This might mean revamping my whole job chart area, but change isn't always bad!
My jobs have been:
1. Line Leader (lead the line everywhere we go and take papers to office and lunch room as needed- the pick someone to go with them)
2. Door Holder 1- first door we come to- then they go to the END (to avoid running back up to the front of the line!)
3. Door Holder 2- holds the second door- they go to END also
4. Paper Passer
5. Cafeteria Manager 1- cleans table
6. Cafeteria Manager 2- cleans up trash under class table
7. Custodian- cleans floor at end of day
8. Computer Person- Turns on computers at beginning of day and turns them off at the end
9. Substitute- fills in for anyone absent.
Considering I usually only have 16 students at the most each year- it's not like having a job for everyone is THAT big of a deal, I already have 9 jobs! I rotate these jobs every week.
Go here to check it out:


Thanks for joining Sarah! Our little ones can really be great helpers! I love zumba...but now I'm scared...eek!
ReplyDeletePeace, Mel D
Oh the Places We’ll Go