Loving this book! It is really making me think of how I want to "arrange" my reading block to accommodate self selected reading. I loved the part where she mentions WHEN reading should occur- and classroom interruptions is one of them. I am not sure why I never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense. An adult walks in my room and needs something, and the kids just get out a book and read! I plan to try it out this coming school year. Of course, I like when she stated that kids should just read when they finish an assignment early. There are always early finishers! I sometimes let my kids write in their writing journals as well when they are done.
Loved this quote:
"Resolve to edge in a little reading every day, if it is but a single sentence. If you gain fifteen minutes a day, it will make itself felt at the end of the year." - Horace Mann
In this chapter, Donalyn discusses how students do not need a specific PLACE or ENVIRONMENT to read. I find this so true. I see other teachers responded on other blogs about how they have restrictions on these "no boundaries" and I agree- I do too. I will not let a student sit under either of my two desks. This spells trouble to me. I also don't let them in any area I cannot specifically see them or near anything they might take- as I have had thieves in the past.
I cannot wait to put more of a focus on self selected and independent reading!

Thanks for linking up with your thoughts!
ReplyDelete♬Swamp Frog First Graders ♬